There are several steps you can take to secure your devices.
- UMBC-owned devices should only be used by UMBC Faculty or Staff members.
- Do not leave your device unattended. This includes short periods of time to run to the bathroom or visit a friend. An unattended laptop or cell phone is a prime target for physical theft.
- When on campus, use the
eduroamwireless network. This high-security network provides access not only at UMBC, but to thousands of other participating colleges and universities worldwide.
- When you are off-campus or on a public wireless network, use the UMBC VPN. This service is available to students, faculty, and staff; and can be accessed by going to https://gpvpn.umbc.edu.
- Make sure your applications and operating system are kept up to date. This includes running Windows Update, Apple Software Update, updating virus scanning applications, and other applications as needed.
- When you walk away from your desktop computer, lock your screen. This can prevent someone from sitting at your keyboard and masquerading as you.
- Immediately report lost or stolen equipment to local law enforcement (Campus Police at 410-455-5555, or your local police department if off-campus). Also inform your Departmental IT employee, or the Technology Support Center at 410-455-3838.
Cell Phones and Tablets
In addition to all of the above precautions, these tips also apply for highly mobile devices.